About

Building a sustainable community on an apocalyptic wasteland. Clearly we don't know what we are doing.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Short Days, Long Nights

This post is dedicated to my Grandma, the biggest fan of this blog.

Fall is upon us, no more Teva Sandals, No more sleeping in, and no more saying "it's ok I can do it tomorrow". Every day I don't accomplish something is another day my cabin is cold, wet, breezy etc.

The biggest dilema I face every fall is whether or not to work, and how much I want to do it. It's hard to get things done without money, but it's even harder to get things done when your at work until it gets dark. After a few 6 day work weeks, things are leveling off and I have found the perfect medium that is part time work. I have time and motivation to get things done, and I can even afford them. I found a job at a tool rental shop, allowing me a free rental or two when I need one, and oh do I tell you, a battery powered skill saw is so much more fun than hand sawing everything. The house is now entirely sided, boards and battons. The only place with no siding is a small gap where the roof of the extension will attach. Mid summer we got given a propane stove, with four burners and an oven, which was a huge step up over the one burner we have had for the last year or so. a couple of fitting were broken on it, but a local friend of ours happened to be able to fix it. Bring on the cakes!



In other news I put up gutters I got from the free store, combined with some down-pipe and rain barrels, We have a decent water supply. Now I just need to hook it up to the sink inside.
Two days ago I insulated the rest of my loft, and when I woke up I didn't feel like I was sleeping outside in november!

No comments:

Post a Comment